Friday, March 24, 2006

Following week’s game versus the 1730

Sancho Pawnza: Ok fellas huddle up. Before we enter the Command Central, which by the way I have had remodeled. You all remember “The Meeting”? Same thing as last week minus the screw up! Plans has worked hard with Archives reviewing master games in preparation. Tactics has busted his butt working out the calculation muscle. Even Celine er I mean Relayer has spent the past week setting up the new communication equipment. No one, and I mean no one is to leave their post for any reason. If you have to pee hold it, wet your pants, or use Relayer’s Latte cup. But you will not abandon your post. This guy is dangerous and loves to attack if you give him the opportunity. We have White this round, so develop with purpose and see what happens.
Now let’s have some fun!

The Game Begins...
Comments by Sancho Pawnza

1. e4 c5

2. Nf3 e6

3. d4 cxd

4. Nxd a6 Good Evening Mr. Kan I’ve been expecting you.

5. Bd3 Nc6

6. Be3 h5!?? Hmmmm... Interesting move on his part, I guess I can expect one of those all out attacks. But he should be concentrating on his development instead. Looks like he’s not planning on castling anytime soon. Kill his only active piece and make his light squared Bishop look like a tall pawn.

7. Nxc6 dxN

8. a4 [Freezes b5 dead in its tracks. 8...b5?? 9. axb cxb 10. Bxb5+!] a5 Guess he thought I was going to play 9. a5? But Bb4+ wins my A pawn.

9. Nd2 Nc3? Would only help him by allowing Bb4 pinning my Knight. Nf6

10. h3 Nc4 looks good too but I can play it next, besides I shut out ...Ng4 Qc7 Thematic

11. Nc4 Squares are targets too. He’s allowing me to upgrade from Operation ToeJam to Operation Foothold. c5 Holy Over Commitment Batman! His Bishop on f8 now has the range of a water pistol. Nd7 would have been much better.

12. Qd2 Hello dark squares! If ...e5 Qc3 b6 Not much else happening. I guess he’s trying to continue with the typical themes found in this system, but they are only effective with complete development.

13. Bf4 Congratulations d6 is mine! Qb7

14. f3 Bd7 No way to exploit the fork, I could permanently fix my dark squared bishop on d6 after Nd6+ followed by e5. But I’m not in the trading mood with all of these available options. Search, find the move, wait a second... Ne5 gives him massive amounts of problems. Now I can kill the Bishop on d7 and whatever recaptures gets pinned to his King.

15. Ne5 Rd8 Queenside castling here I come, the a4 pawn is safe because of Bb5+ and mate threats on d8.

16. 0-0-0 Development complete! Be7 No castling for you, because with my next move your King is going to start playing defense.

17. NxBd7 NxN

18. Bb5 Say hello to my little friend! f6? The dark squares look like an Interstate highway now. I have a multitude of targets and he’s getting ready to lose a series of pawns.

19. Bd6 Bf8

20. BxB RxB

21. Qd6 His King has to run now. Rf7 Ouch! I guess he was planning to use his Rook as a shield. But after 22. Qe6+ Re7 23. Qg8# and if 22...Kf8 23. Bc4 Kg8 24.Qxf7+ Kh7 25. Qxh5#

22. Qxe6+ Kf8

23. Bc4 Resigns

End Game
Well I finished the tournament (a double round-robin) with a score of 5.5/8
+5 -2 =1 and missed 1st place by 1/2 a point.
All in all I'm not displeased with the result. Of course one always wants to do better.
I guess the good news was after that second loss it led me to use a new methodology
in my thinking, which so far has worked pretty well.

10 comments:

Calvin said...

what's the new methodology? i'm curious. and thanks for the creative posts, always refreshing and fun to read.

Blue Devil Knight said...

Sweet. Thanks for the stories :)

Pawnsensei said...

I can't wait to see the new rating!

PS

Temposchlucker said...

fascinating narration

Sancho Pawnza said...

gk,
It's a combination of things that are all very basic in nature.
Mainly I have tried to simplify my approach as much as possible.
I look at the current position and try to evaluate who stands better and why.
Using development, material, space, color weaknesses, and piece activity as the standard rule of thumb.
Then I take steps to try and find plans that allow me to increase my strengths and eliminate my weaknesses.

I know this is a very broad based response to your question, but if you are looking
for the main ingredient I would say focus first on development and bettering your pieces.
If you don’t have the man power available you can’t even begin to formulate plans in other areas.

bdk, tempo,
Thanks!

ps,
I went from 1552 to 1575.
The USCF has been doing rerates since they implemented their new software and my rating jumped from 1552 to 1566.
I figured they had finally straightened out some games that had
been recorded incorrectly some years ago. It stayed there all of last year as my official rating. Then a few months ago my rating returns to 1552, and has stayed there until this most recent tournament.
It also changed my “official” Knights starting rating from 1539 to 1520.
So who knows? But as of this week they have me at 1575. So my progress since the beginning of the quest De la Maza is a 55 point increase.

katar said...

How about a pgn-friendly notation for copy/paste or a javascript replay version of your game??

The fans want to check out the chessical ultra-violence.

Thx.

Sancho Pawnza said...

Patrick,
Here you go.

[Date "2006.03.02"]
[White Sancho Pawnza
[Black B Player
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B42"]
[WhiteElo "1552"]
[BlackElo "1730"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. Be3 h5 7. Nxc6 dxc6 8.a4 a5 9. Nd2 Nf6 10. h3 Qc7 11. Nc4 c5 12. Qd2 b6 13. Bf4 Qb7 14. f3 Bd7 15. Ne5 Rd8 16. O-O-O Be7 17. Nxd7 Nxd7 18. Bb5 f6 19. Bd6 Bf8 20. Bxf8 Rxf8 21. Qd6 Rf7 22. Qxe6+ Kf8 23. Bc4 1-0

CelticDeath said...

Excellent job! You'll be joining me in Class-B-Land before you know it.

King of the Spill said...

Congratulations, and very creative post.

wormwood said...

very nice writing! :)

I did a follow-up on my blunder checking bit you commented on my blog, it's been working out extremely well.